top of page

Ski Instructor Visa Switzerland

Switzerland is one of the top Ski destinations for qualified ski and snowboard instructors due to its amazing terrain, vibrant town life, relatively high earnings, and great quality of life.

At Snow family Verbier we are proud of our diverse, fun, and friendly international team of ski instructors. Whilst having an international team comes with many amazing benefits - it is also a little more administration-heavy both for instructors and the ski school. If you are looking for a job in one-of-the-best ski resorts in Switzerland, you are a level three (ISIA equivalent) qualified ski instructor - we invite you to explore our career page.

Work Permit Requirements

If you plan to work for less than 90-consecutive-days your ski school will simply prepare an “Anonce” and you can start your ski season in a matter of hours. If you are planning to stay for the season, after signing a contract your ski school will help you apply for and obtain an L Permit. The costs of obtaining an L permit are usually around CHF 90.

To apply for the L permit you will need:

- Work Contract

- Valid passport for the desired length of stay

- 2 ID Photos - Health Insurance Contract/Proposal: You can compare providers here - Accommodation for the season

- Bank Account Statement with proof of funds (min. CHF 5000)

Work visas in Switzerland for ski Instructors

If you are a holder of an EU passport getting a seasonal job in Switzerland does not require a Visa. However, for non-EU nations, the process is lengthier. Unfortunately, Switzerland doesn't issue special short-term visas for ski instructors. Instead, you will need to apply for a category D visa and obtain an L permit that allows you to stay in the country for the period of your employment.

Are you under 30, just recently completed your ski instructor qualification, and want to work internationally? As a Young professional, you can apply for a special Trainee Visa program that will allow you to work in the country for up to 18 months.

This program is eligible for citizens of the following countries:

Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Indonesia, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, South Africa, Tunisia, Ukraine, USA

To qualify for Trainee Visa you must:

  • Be between 18 and 35 years of age (20–30 if you’re from Australia, or 18–30 if you’re from New Zealand or Russia)

  • Completed at least ISIA Level 3 or equivalent ski instructor degree

By reading this article you are off to a great start. To get more precise and tailored information for your case we encourage you to visit the resources below or schedule an appointment at the Swiss embassy in your country of residence.

Good luck!

Snow Family Team


State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) – Swiss federal department that oversees matters on immigration and residence

Swiss Authorities Online – government portal with information in English

Cantonal Immigration and Employment Market Authorities – local authorities that issue permits and provide information on procedures


VS - Canton du Valais / Kanton Wallis Service cantonal de la population et des migrations Avenue de la Gare 39 Case postale 405 1950 Sion tél. : +41 27 606 55 52 / +41 27 606 55 53

Route de Clouchèvre 28

1934 Le Châble VS


bottom of page